Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, July 22, 2006

coffee anyone?

We spent the evening with some friends of ours from Turkey. One of the highlights was watching how they made Turkish coffee . All the coffee in the pot is poured into cups, but not all of it is drunk. The thick layer of sludgy grounds at the bottom of the cup is left behind. You then can invert your tiny coffee cup onto the saucer and then let it dry a bit. The coffee grounds form a pretty pattern on the side of the cup and saucer. And if your host is creative enough (as ours sure was) you get your fortune read.
The coffee itself was so smooth and not bitter at all, much to my delight. I am normally not a fan of anything without tons of sugar and milk and whip cream (ok, so I like those fru-fru drinks from Starbucks - sue me!), but this coffee was FAN-freaking-tastic. If you ever have the opportunity to try some of this stuff, you'll too see why is has been around since the 16th century and why Turkish coffee has the reputation it does.

So anyhow, now I'm all jazzed about this whole thing... and clearly wired up from all the caffeine. Ah, caffeine.

I'm afraid they got me hooked.

2 Comments:

<

So what was your fortune? "A poopy diaper awaits you"? "Beware the screaming toddler, for he brings many headaches"? "Go visit your friends in St Louis"?

  <

I popped over from FluidPudding -- I, too, live in California -- in Sacramento -- and today, I seriously thought perhaps someone had moved my house to the damn sun, and not told me!

And my God, your babies are "bite them" cute! Those little bellies and facial expressions kill me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Free Website Counter
Web Site Counters