Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Guarding Our Hearts

A beloved co-worker left today to go back to Boston, leaving quite a number of us sad. It got me thinking about something that Kathy said about protecting ourselves from loss and hurt. It goes without saying that the choice between opening our hearts or guarding them from hurt is worth it, is a hard one to make. I remember when I was in high school, working at Baskin Robbins. A co-worker of mine told me that I needed to toughen up more. Famous last words.

I tend to open myself up more often than not and it at times I regret it, wishing I could have more of a rock for a heart, protecting my emotions from loss and hurt. But for the most part it means I get to know people who are wholesome and motivate me to grow and be a better person.

On a side note, I had my performance appraisal at work today. It went well. If I worked fulltime, I would have gotten a nice raise, but as a per diem worker, the raise criteria doesn't apply to me. As such, I'll just keep hoping that the per diem rate gets an increase later this year.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

<

I'm in that boat more often than not. I'm somewhat of an incurable optimist and always assume things, people, and situations will never change for the worse... and it never ends well.

  <

There is an old quote that I love, "Grief is the price we pay for love; it is the cost of commitment." It all goes hand-in-hand.

Congrats on a good review!

  <

Makes me think of Tennyson:

"'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all."

and a quote passed on to me by a dear friend that goes something like this:

"Detachment is the price of attachment. Attachment always has a price I hope I don't have to pay."

  <

You do wear your heart out on your sleeve, don't you?
That willingness to let people see the vulnerable you, the real you, is one of the things I love about you the most.

Here's hoping the per diem rate goes waaaaayyyy up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Free Website Counter
Web Site Counters